Tiramisu’ is one of those desserts which, when done properly can be sheer heaven in a dish but unfortunately it’s a very easy dessert to mess up! Here are the ten pitfalls to avoid if you want to achieve Tiramisu perfection:
1) Don’t use the eggs lurking at the back of your fridge which are ‘probably in date’ they are no good for Tiramisu’! Make sure that you use only fresh ingredients (and the best quality you can). If they are free range that’s even better!
2) Your ingredients shouldn’t be too cold, especially your Mascarpone- take it out of the fridge an hour or so before you need it.
3) Don’t beat the Mascarpone for too long – it will curdle!
4) Don’t attempt to replace Savoiardi biscuits with anything else! Only genuine Italian Ladyfingers will stay fluffy….…but that’s if you dunk them for exactly the right amount of time in the coffee!
5) Lightly dip in each side for a few seconds only to ensure that they are not too dry and not too soggy
6) Don’t use instant coffee – it’s just not potent enough! The best coffee for perfect Tiramisu’ is stove top/mocha pot Espresso. There’s no need to add any sugar to it.
7) Only dip the Savoiardi into the espresso when it has cooled down to room temperature.
8) Don’t beat your egg yolks and sugar for any less than 10 minutes (consider it an arm workout!) Otherwise the finished Tiramisu’ will be too runny.
9) Don’t just sprinkle cocoa powder on the top of your dessert, add it in between layers too!
10) If you can, refrain from eating it until the next day – It tastes SO MUCH better! Keep it covered with some cling film in the fridge over night.