Organic food what it is and why we should all get behind it…
We hear of organic food all the time, but what it really is and its benefits in comparison with conventional products often remain a mystery to us. That said, Italy offers up a wealth of incredible, organic products and that’s why we’ve written this short guide to talk you through just a few of the many benefits and why you should start making the most of them right away!
Why organic food is better for our health
The advantages of eating organic foods are endless, and every day more studies are published confirming the health benefits in comparison with conventional products. After all, there must be a reason that Italy has one of the highest life expectancy rates in the world.
Although organic products are often more costly, and not always as widely available, we’re sure that once you’ve read the following pros of a more biologically friendly diet, you’ll start to rethink about what you put on your plate…
- Firstly, organic foods have a much higher concentration of essential vitamins such as vitamin C, mineral salts, and antioxidants, all of which play a key role in growth and development of the body and brain. These nutrients are not only important in promoting adult health, but are crucial throughout a child’s development.
- Containing so many nutrients, organic foods are vital in helping you get better after being ill. Plus, they strengthen your immune system giving you the forces to better combat bugs and viruses. A juice made from Sicily’s finest Arancia rossa oranges is sure to perk you up!
- According to EPA (US Environmental Protection Agency), eating organic food also drastically reduces the risk of cancer. During their cultivation, mass-produced foods are more often than not covered in countless pesticides which pose numerous, and many yet unknown risks to our health. In order for a product to be classified as organic it has to have been subjected to little or no pesticides. So, if you’re looking to reduce your consumption of carcinogens but carry on enjoying the best prosciutto Italy has to offer, organic is the way to go.
- Eating organic means you aren’t consuming the antibiotics, hormones, and steroids used in intensive animal farming which remain present in conventional foods – it’s a no-brainer!
- If you’re looking to lose weight then there’s more good news, organic foods contribute to a healthy metabolism. On top of that, what we eat also massively affects how we age. So before you spend out on anti-ageing ointments and miracle face masks, check out the organic section of your supermarket first.
- Finally, it’s no secret that organic tastes better. Why not treat yourself to more flavoursome food in the knowledge that you’re treating your body well too?
How buying organic benefits others
The benefits of organic vegetables and meats for our health are clear and many, but what often goes unspoken of are the benefits for the environment. Not only can improve our own lives by eating better sourced food, we can also protect the environment and the lives of the people around us. Here are just a few reasons why it is important to be more conscious of where what we buy comes from and how it is produced…
- The development of GMO products has dramatically reduced the earth’s biodiversity, an incredibly important aspect of the planet’s health. Purchasing organic foods supports eco-friendly farming which consists only of the use of natural, non-genetically modified plants and with a greater range of biodiversity.
- Buying organic means you’re also supporting those out working in the fields. According to Harvard University, the risk of Parkinson’s disease is 70% higher in those who work in fields treated with pesticides. That’s a good enough reason to go eco if you ask us!
- Sustainability is currently the hot topic in farming, and fortunately there’s a lot we can do, through choosing organic foods, towards protecting the world’s resources, such as water, which are often chemically contaminated during intensive farming practices.
As you can see, the advantages of eating organic food are never-ending, not only for our health but for our environment too. So why not give it a try? You can sit back and enjoy your organic Italian pasta, sipping your organic Italian wine, without an ounce of guilt… Bliss!